|Establishment of Relations||1992|
|Brief History||Relations between India and Kazakhstan are ancient and historical going back to more than 2500 years ago. There has been a constant and regular flow of trade in goods and, more importantly, exchange of ideas and cultural influences. The flow of Buddhism from India to Central Asia and Sufi ideas from Central Asia to India are two such examples. These deep rooted linkages are evident even today in similarities in food, language, dress and culture.|
|Key Visits (President, VP, PM)||
Prime Minister’s Visits:
1. 7-8 July 2015
2. 8-9 June 2017
|Main Treaties and Agreements||1. Agreement between Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) and & L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University for establishing India-Kazakhstan Center of Excellence in ICT at Astana 2014
2. Agreement on Transfer of Sentenced Persons
3. Agreement on Defence and Military – Technical Cooperation between Republic of India and Republic of Kazakhstan 2015
4. Long term contract between Department of Atomic Energy of Republic of India and JSC National atomic company “KazAtomProm’ for sale and purchase of natural uranium concentrates 2015
|MOUs||1. MOU between Governments of India and Kazakhstan for establishing an Educational Center in the sphere of Information and Communication Technology in Kazakhstan 2014
2. Memorandum of Understanding between Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of Republic of India and Ministry of Culture and Sports of Republic of Kazakhstan on Cooperation on Physical Cultural and Sports 2015
3. Memorandum of Understanding between Ministry of Railways of Republic of India and the Kazakhstan Temir Zholy of Republic of Kazakhstan on Technical Cooperation in the field of Railways 2015
4. MOU on amendment of Air Services Agreement between the Governments of India and Kazakhstan 2015
5. Protocol amending the Convention for Avoidance of Double Taxation and Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to taxes on income and capital 2017
6. MOU between Governments of India and Kazakhstan on joint deployment of a Kazakhstani Peacekeeping Company under the Indian Peacekeeping Battalion in the United Nations Interim Force 2018
|Working Groups||1. The India-Kazakhstan Inter-Governmental Commission (IGC) established in 1993 is the apex bilateral institutional mechanism for developing trade, economic, scientific, technological, industrial and cultural cooperation between the two countries.
2. The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas on the Indian side and Ministry of Energy on the Kazakh side are the nodal ministries with respective Ministers as the Co-Chair of the Commission.
3. Eight Joint Working Groups have been established in the areas of Counter Terrorism, Trade & Economic Cooperation, Defence & Military Technical Cooperation, Information Technology, Hydrocarbons, Textiles, Tea Debt and Space Cooperation.
4. Foreign Office Consultations
|Bilateral Trade – Last Three years||Total Trade:
1. 2017-18- 1,032.81 USD Million
2. 2016-17- 642.16 USD Million
3. 2015-16- 504.84 USD Million
Major Exports (2017-18):
1. Miscellaneous manufactured articles.
2. Electrical machinery and equipment and parts
3. Coffee, tea, mate and spices
4. Optical, photographic cinematographic measuring, checking precision, medical or surgical inst. and apparatus parts and accessories
5. Miscellaneous chemical products
1. Edible vegetables and certain roots and tubers.
2. Oil seeds and olea, fruits misc. grains, seeds and fruit; industrial or medicinal plants; straw and fodder.
3. Lac; gums, resins and other vegetable saps and extracts.
4. Salt; sulphur; earths and stone; plastering materials, lime and cement.
5. Ores, slag and ash
|Grant/Loan/Aid||Ingoing – Outgoing|
|Ongoing Negotiations||[For example FTA and Status]|
|Key Officials||Ambassador/HC – India to Kazakhstan – H. E. Ambassador Prabhat KumarAmbassador/HC –Kazakhstan to India – H.E. Mr. Bulat Sarsenbayev|
[RUNNING UPDATE – LAST UPDATED ON 25th NOVEMBER TO INCLUDE YEARS 2018-2014 ONLY]
- Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India
- Ministry of Commerce, Government of India.